Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Tape or PSA is a type of self adhesive tape made by Industrial adhesive tape manufacturers. These are thin tapes with flexible material having a single of double sided coat. These tapes adhere to most surfaces when applied with some pressure. Interestingly, PSA’s do not require water, heat or any solvent to activate the adhesive. The pressure you apply is sufficient for the tape to bond with the surface.
Owing to its ease of use and low cost compared to other traditional adhesive systems, PSA tapes are widely used in several applications. Here are some tips that will help you decide to choose the right tape for a particular application.
Benefits of Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Tapes
• They are usually thin and light materials
• Compatible with most surfaces and hence bonds easily materials
• Lowers noise and provides vibration dampening
• Requires less assembly time
• Does not require surface refinishing
• Eliminates the need of any mechanical fasteners to make it look appealing
• Offers uniform thickness and has better gap filling properties
Types of Adhesive used for PSA
1. Rubber: This is by far the most cost effective PSA. This adhesive is based on natural or synthetic rubber that is formulated using resins, oils and anti-oxidants. However, rubber adhesives are not recommended for applications that require high heat.
2. Acrylic: These adhesives are formulated with acrylic polymers. These are resistant to most solvents, environmental factors, etc and thus have a long life. Acrylic adhesives build a better bond than rubber adhesives and are able to withstand high temperatures.
3. Silicone: These adhesives are formulated with silicone polymers and bond extremely well with silicone substrates. Silicone adhesives can withstand high temperatures compared to both Acrylic and Rubber adhesive and are expensive.
Different Types of PSA Construction
Single Coated: In this type the adhesive is coated on one side of a material. It is also protected by a release liner coated with silicone.
Transfer Tape: This tape adheres quickly on irregular surfaces. This is has an adhesive film coated on a release liner having a release coat on both sides.
Double Coated: In this type, both the sides of a carrier are coated with PSA. The carrier can be made of plastic films, non-woven,tissue, etc. This is often used in laminates, carpet tape, etc.
Self Wound: In this type, one side of the carrier is coated with PSA and the other side with a release coating. Self wound tapes do not have a release liner. Good examples of self wound tapes are carton sealing, ducts and masking.
In case you are interested in purchasing PSAs, contact the nearest industrial adhesive tape manufacturers. For more details you can visit our website www.theengineeringportal.in